Any salad is delicious with the addition of goat cheese, and this one is no exception! Cabbage, tomatoes, carrots in a simple vinaigrette. To top it off, crispy oven sweet potatoes! It’s a great side for your summer gatherings. Make it as a dinner with the addition of crispy tofu, chicken, or your favorite protein. The original recipe, adapted from Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East and North Africa, calls for feta cheese if you are looking for a substitute for goat cheese.
½ sweet potato
2 tsp olive oil
Salt to taste
½ purple onion
1 large carrot
1 roma tomato
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper
Crumbled goat cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Peel and slice the sweet potato into rounds. Toss with olive oil and salt and spread evenly onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy on the edges and tender in the middle.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, slice the cabbage. Remove the rib from each leaf and thinly slice. Chop the rest of the vegetables and toss them together in a bowl.
4. Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
5. Pour dressing on the salad and toss, top with crumbled goat cheese and sliced avocado.
Salloum, Habeeb. Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East and North Africa. Interlink Books, 2012.