Gluten-free chocolate tiffin, also known as no bake chocolate squares!
I used my Buckwheat Flour Digestive Biscuits as the base for these no bake chocolate squares. They are sweetened with honey and have almond butter in them! Any nut butter will do if you don’t prefer almond butter. Like digestive biscuits, tiffin was invented in Scotland. “Tiffin is a form of cake-like confection composed of crushed biscuits (most commonly digestive biscuits), sugar, syrup, raisins, cherries and cocoa powder, often covered in a layer of melted chocolate” (“Tiffin (confectionery)”). If you don’t want to use your oven, these are a great dessert for warmer weather!
Makes: 8 squares
⅓ cup cocoa powder
Heaping ¼ cup almond butter
¼ cup coconut oil
2 Tbsp honey
½ cup digestive biscuits (crushed)
¼ cup shredded coconut
¼ cup dried tart cherries
2 Tbsp chopped almonds
½ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
½ cup dark chocolate
2 Tbsp almond milk
Maldon sea salt for topping (optional)
1. Add cocoa powder, almond butter, honey, and coconut oil to a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow to melt, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from the heat and add crushed digestive biscuits, shredded coconut, dried cherries, chopped almonds, vanilla and salt. Stir together until fully mixed.
3. Line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with wax or parchment paper. Pour mixture in pan and spread evenly.
4. Add an inch of water to a clean small saucepan over medium heat. Place a heatsafe bowl on top of the saucepan. Use a big enough bowl that it does not touch the water. Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir until melting. Add the almond milk and stir until combined.
5. Layer on top of the base and spread evenly. Optionally top with flaky maldon sea salt. Allow to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
6. Remove, slice and serve. Store in refrigerator.