Thin mints are by far my favorite girl scout cookie. I think chocolate and mint together are so delicious! So, I wanted to attempt a healthier thin mint. This chocolate shortbread is vegan and uses mint leaves instead of mint flavoring. That being said the natural mint is a much different flavor than mint flavoring. And if you don’t like mint and chocolate or are skeptical about the mint leaves I think it would be delicious with dried strawberries or raspberries in place of the mint!
Yields: 25 cookies
1 cup flour
¼ cup sugar + 1 Tbsp
¼ cup cocoa powder
20 mint leaves
1 Tbsp almond milk
2 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
½ cup chocolate chips - dark chocolate for vegan
1 tsp coconut oil
1. Place coconut oil in bowl of high speed mixer and mix on high until not clumpy.
2. In food processor mix all the sugar with the mint leaves until the leaves are just speckles within the sugar. Reserve 1 tbsp.
3. Add sugar (¼ cup), vanilla and almond milk and mix to combine.
4. Add flour, cocoa and salt and mix to combine, don’t over mix.
5. Remove the dough from the mixer and form into a square, wrap and store in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into squares. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining mint sugar.
8. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
9. Once the cookies are cooled, heat the chocolate and coconut oil and use a fork to drizzle the chocolate over the cookies! Store in a cool place.
Author: Lucy Lafranchise
Photographer: Jack Klipfel