Gluten-free dessert bars with toasted oats and buckwheat groats.
These bars have everything I want in a dessert, chocolate, peanut butter and crunch! They’re really simple to throw together, and I store them in the fridge for whenever I need a mid-day or after dinner snack.
Makes 9 bars
1 cup buckwheat groats
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup pitted medjool dates (about 10-15)
½ cup 70% cocoa chocolate
½ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup (heaping) peanut butter
¼ cup coconut oil
1. Boil 1 ½ cups water and pour over medjool dates to soften, set aside to cool.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil, peanut butter and chocolate. Set aside to cool.
3. Add the buckwheat groats and oats to a saute pan and toast over medium heat. Stir occasionally, until fragrant. About 3 minutes.
4. Once all is cooled, drain the dates and add to a high speed blender or food processor with the chocolate, peanut butter, coconut oil and cocoa powder.
5. Process to a smooth mixture. Add the oats and buckwheat groats and pulse until combined.
6. Add to a 9x9 inch baking dish and flatten to fill the pan. Let set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Slice and enjoy.