It’s Fall! This angel food cake with a pumpkin spice twist fits right in.
These little cake squares are so light and fluffy and are best enjoyed with some hot chocolate or tea. I made this recipe with a stand mixer but it should work the same with a hand mixer! I used a 9 by 9 inch pan and a cupcake tin to use all the batter but if you have a more traditional tube pan for angel food cake I would use that. Be very careful not to pat down the batter when putting it into the pan. It will still be delicious but much less light and fluffy. I make my own pumpkin pie spice (listed below) but if you have a store bought mix go ahead with that!! This recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit: “Angel Food Cake Recipe”
1 cup flour
⅔ cup powdered sugar
12 jumbo egg whites
1 ½ tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
⅔ cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin Pie Spice
3 Tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt to bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium high for one minute and add granulated sugar by the spoonful. Once finished, continue until you have stiff peaks. (about 5 minutes)
3. Add the lemon juice and vanilla
4. Sift the rest of the dry ingredients into the bowl in 2 parts. Don’t overmix. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold the batter with a spatula until homogenous.
5. Grease your pan and add the batter. Be careful not to knock out the air. Check at 30 minutes, a knife inserted should come out clean.
6. Invert and cool for 1 hour! Cut around the cake and gradually loosen to remove from the pan.